Maclagan Crozier, Lichfield Cathedral
The Maclagan Crozier was made by William Dalrymple Maclagan who was Bishop of Lichfield from 1878 to 1891. It was created by Stephen Smith & Son of Covent Garden, London and is made from silver and silver gilt. It is formed of three main elements, the crozier head, central stem and lower stem, each joined together by a screw thread.
The Crozier head had broken away from the central stem as a result of the screw thread being overtightened. This had caused the thin-walled silver tube to fail at its weakest point.
HMCC was appointed by the Treasurer of Lichfield Cathedral to carry out the repair of the Crozier. Initially, the broken threaded end had to be removed from the central stem. A trial repair piece was made using a 3-D printed plastic section to check that the proposed solution would work. A machined brass sleeve was then made and inserted into the threaded end and the silver tube forming the stem. It was decided to secure it using Paraloid B72 adhesive so that it could potentially be reversed in the future. The Crozier was then gently cleaned using Goddard's Silver foam before being returned to the Cathedral.
Hatherop Castle School, Circencester
Hatherop Castle dates originally from the late sixteenth or early seventeenth century. The present building was partially rebuilt by the architect, Henry Clutton, between 1850 - 56 for the Baron de Mauley. The Castle building was leased from the Bazley family at the end of the Second World War by the Owlstone Croft School from Cambridgeshire, becoming the Hatherop Castle School. The buildings were purchased from the family in 1972. The School has continued on the site and today teaches boys and girls from 2.5 to 13 years of age. Within the main building is the Dr Moorhead Room, named after a previous headmistress. This grand room was completely refurbished over the summer of 2014. On the walls of this room were 4 no ornate wall light sconces requiring conservation.
HMCC Limited was contracted by David Carson, the Estates Director, to undertake the careful conservation of the wall lights. The lights were formed from iron armatures with curved copper tubes for the light arms. The wiring for the electric lights were fed through these tubes. Each light was decorated with both wooden and composition mouldings and finished with a thick white coating.
The lights were in a poor condition. Many pieces of the composition decoration were missing, elements were bent out of shape and other areas were cracked. The old electric wiring had failed in at least one light and the old fittings were loose or damaged. Many of the cardboard candle tubes were missing.
The lights were carefully taken apart to allow for replacement of the old wiring with new 3 core cabling. After being rebuild, missing decorative details were replaced in composition after first making moulds from existing details from other areas. These pieces were adhered and pinned to lights before localised filling. The wall lights were finished with oil-based paint before new bulb holders and candle covers were fitted.
Telegraph Museum, Porthcurno
The Telegraph Museum in Porthcurno tells the story of telegraphy. Eastern House was the largest telegraph station in the World, the Cable Hut at the top of the beach was where the cables headed out undersea and the secret WWII tunnels were built to protect communications during the War.
HMCC was contracted to carry out much needed conservation treatment to the two heavy duty steel doors located in the escape tunnel out of the underground tunnels. These were suffering from heavy corrosion due to their location in a damp environment.
The doors and frames were initially cleaned by hand to remove heavy rust deposits and corrosion back to a sound surface. Each was then protected by using a high quality paint system to help minimise future corrosion. The system used was designed to be applied in damp and cold conditions.
All exposed surfaces were protected with 1 no coat of Sherwin-Williams Winterfast M902 brushing aluminium primer, 1 no coat of Sherwin-Williams Winterfast M905 undercoat and finished with 2 no coats of Sherwin-Williams C530 Alkyd Gloss.